29 Jul Rub-a-Dub Stew
This is my rub-a-dub stew. Can be done anytime throughout the year and you adjust it depending on what’s available. Easily varied, this dish is easy to make, cheap and full with nutrition.
- 200gr Beans
- 200gr Chickpeas
- 200gr Rice
- Oregano, Thyme, rosemary, spearmint
- 200ml Olive Oil
- Anything seasonal like potatoes, zucchini, pumpkin, carrots or whatever you have.
- Make it extra nutritious by adding quinoa and grounded flax seeds, buckwheat goes in too.
- Beans and chickpeas have to be soaked overnight. You then boil them in medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Whether you drain them and put them for a second boil is up to you. I personally do not really bother.
- Next step is when you start adding everything else in the casserole.
- Another 15 minutes of boil should do it. Adjust the consistency by adding more water if you want it more ‘soup style’. Or flour if you want it thicker.
- Just as you take it off the heat you add the olive oil.
- Serve in bowls with feta cheese on the side and cut some lemons in half to squeeze in the dish.
Credits: Photography by Kinlake